Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Second Flare Up In Less Than One Month

I have been taking some pretty strong probiotics daily, but I have not been keeping my intake of long-chain carbohydrates down, because the symptoms abated.  It's been the holidays, and I have decided that for the holiday season I would eat whatever I wanted to.  My diet has probably not been optimal, especially for someone with an apparent chronic condition.  I really thought the probiotics would protect me.

About a week ago, on January 6, I began to feel very fatigued and vaguely nauseous.  I chalked it up to political events happening on that day.  Right-wing extremists stormed the US capitol at Trump's bidding, and I was horrified.  I thought that might be why I was feeling off.  The feeling persisted.  By Sunday night, I was so exhausted that I nearly fell asleep in my chair even though it was early evening.  This had never happened before.  I was a little worried about having persistent mild nausea, but not so much that it affected anything.   I do not recall my earlier symptoms including fatigue and nausea.

About 4 days later, I woke up at 3:00 a.m. Monday morning with sharp abdominal pains, leading to severe diarrhea.  This persisted until about 8:30 in the morning.  I could not get any rest.  Finally, at around 9:00 a.m., it began to ease up and I was able to sleep.  I drifted in and out of sleep that day.  I ate applesauce and hard-boiled eggs.  Ehren brought me a fried egg for dinner on a bed of cucumbers, tomatoes, and topped with avocado.  I tolerated all of that well.  For the rest of the week, I limited my diet to Lara bars, boiled eggs, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.  Ehren fixed me some delicious chicken breast which was "breaded" with almond flour instead of bread crumbs.  

I have been steadily feeling better.  I'm still fatigued but not as much.  I still have a sensation like I have a belly full of broken glass, especially after meals, but it's getting better.  I haven't had any diarrhea.  

I really do think this is part of the same condition.  The reasons:

*I haven't left home due to the pandemic, so I haven't caught anything.

*No one else in the house was sick.

*The symptoms improved with a change in diet.

*I didn't eat anything strange or "off," just plenty of long-chain carbs.

I think that if it weren't for the probiotics it would have been worse.  So once again, I think it's important to eliminate long-chain carbs from my diet for now, and once I feel better, limit my intake.

And now, despite it being only 4:00 in the afternoon, I am going back to bed.  I plan to get maximum rest for the remainder of the week since I have split days off this week and I find it adds to my feeling of exhaustion.  

Update:  I didn't being to feel "normal" until Friday the 15th, nearly a week after the severe and unexpected diarrhea symptoms began.  Today is a week later, Sunday, and I am beginning to feel like I can think about something other than being sick again.  However, I feel anxious and apprehensive because I am afraid that it will come back and bring more pain.






No comments:

Post a Comment